WHO ARE YOU? Jacqueline Haywood
WHERE ARE YOU? Fitzroy, Melbourne
WHAT DO YOU DO? Manager, The Standard Store
What do you love about the city?
Melbourne is a vibrant and eclectic mix of all sorts! The inner northern suburb of Fitzroy is an ever-evolving creative hub home to many galleries and studios. Mix that with cafes, restaurants, bars and pubs, and you have one hell of a great place to be.
Most inspiring stores, spaces, galleries?
- The Standard Store – of course!
- Currently the National Gallery of Australia is exhibiting ‘The House of Dior’ –a must see!
- Centre of Contemporary Photography for lovers of photo-based art
- Sutton Gallery, contemporary and innovative art (http://www.suttongallery.com.au)
- Alcaston Gallery, a National and International focus and exhibition schedule, know for representing Australian Indigenous artists.
- Street art – laneways, garage doors and sides of building. Just watch you step as you look up!
Secret eating/ drinking spots
- The Everleigh Bar for an intimate late night tipple
- The Napier Hotel for a good ol’ pub lunch
- Grub Food Van is a hidden gem
- Saint Crispin to treat yourself
- Marion, an extensive wine list
- Builders Arms – sit in the front bar for a beer or enjoy weekend yum cha at Rinky & Pinky
- Bar Liberty, an unusual treasure trove of wine and delicious snacks (barliberty.com)
- Lazer Pig, delicious, delicious pizza
- The Black Pearl, award winning cocktails
There are truly so many!
- Industry Beans has a roaster yon site (and delicious food)
- Donut Shop for a great coffee and equally great donut
- Burnside, a cup of gold!
Local stores (vintage, interiors, beauty, pharmacy?)
- Handsom, locally designed threads. We love our neighbours!
- Pickings and Parry, cool mix of menswear with barber services!
- Tarlo and Graham, broad range of curiosities and antiques. Always with the most amazing window display
- Kiosk, Georgia Perry’s new shop full of her collections
- Brunswick Street Bookstore, take a break with books
- Space Craft, a lifestyle destination
- Vintage shops line Brunswick and Smith Streets a plenty
- Bruce, consignment store for luxury, contemporary and premium brands
Where to stay?
- The Standard Store Apartment! Right on Gertrude Street, in the heart of Fitzroy, you can’t go wrong. Beautifully furnished with local interiors, and bicycles to use, you’ll feel like a true local. Book here