Standard City Guide: Fitzroy, Melbourne
Posted on September 06 2017
WHO ARE YOU? Jacqueline Haywood
WHERE ARE YOU? Fitzroy, Melbourne
WHAT DO YOU DO? Manager, The Standard Store
What do you love about the city?
Melbourne is a vibrant and eclectic mix of all sorts! The inner northern suburb of Fitzroy is an ever-evolving creative hub home to many galleries and studios. Mix that with cafes, restaurants, bars and pubs, and you have one hell of a great place to be.
Most inspiring stores, spaces, galleries?
- The Standard Store – of course!
- Currently the National Gallery of Australia is exhibiting ‘The House of Dior’ –a must see!
- Centre of Contemporary Photography for lovers of photo-based art
- Sutton Gallery, contemporary and innovative art (http://www.suttongallery.com.au)
- Alcaston Gallery, a National and International focus and exhibition schedule, know for representing Australian Indigenous artists.
- Street art – laneways, garage doors and sides of building. Just watch you step as you look up!
Secret eating/ drinking spots
- The Everleigh Bar for an intimate late night tipple
- The Napier Hotel for a good ol’ pub lunch
- Grub Food Van is a hidden gem
- Saint Crispin to treat yourself
- Marion, an extensive wine list
- Builders Arms – sit in the front bar for a beer or enjoy weekend yum cha at Rinky & Pinky
- Bar Liberty, an unusual treasure trove of wine and delicious snacks (barliberty.com)
- Lazer Pig, delicious, delicious pizza
- The Black Pearl, award winning cocktails
There are truly so many!
- Industry Beans has a roaster yon site (and delicious food)
- Donut Shop for a great coffee and equally great donut
- Burnside, a cup of gold!
Local stores (vintage, interiors, beauty, pharmacy?)
- Handsom, locally designed threads. We love our neighbours!
- Pickings and Parry, cool mix of menswear with barber services!
- Tarlo and Graham, broad range of curiosities and antiques. Always with the most amazing window display
- Kiosk, Georgia Perry’s new shop full of her collections
- Brunswick Street Bookstore, take a break with books
- Space Craft, a lifestyle destination
- Vintage shops line Brunswick and Smith Streets a plenty
- Bruce, consignment store for luxury, contemporary and premium brands
Where to stay?
- The Standard Store Apartment! Right on Gertrude Street, in the heart of Fitzroy, you can’t go wrong. Beautifully furnished with local interiors, and bicycles to use, you’ll feel like a true local. Book here